Rainbow Summer Salad is perfect for summer cookouts with crunchy, fresh veggies in a sweet and zesty vinaigrette!
Nothing says summer like a beautiful melange (my fancy pants word of the day) of fresh, colorful fruits or veggies. It’s my favorite time of year to explore the produce section of the grocery store because it’s like a rainbow of deliciousness right before my very eyes. But my favorite thing to get at the grocery store in the summer months is most definitely sweet corn. OH. MY. HEAVENS. That stuff is GOOOOOD. I tolerate canned and frozen for the remainder of the year, but you just can’t beat fresh corn on the cob. Although, I will join in the confusion about “corn on the cob.” Shouldn’t it just be corn? Maybe I’ll start referring to a whole apple as “apple on the core.” No matter how you say it or what you call it, fresh corn is freaking amazing.
Whenever I can throw fresh corn into a recipe, I can and I freaking will, people. It just adds the perfect crunch and little sweetness to pretty much anything. You might want to draw the line at chocolate. 😉
The best way to cook corn in the summer months is most definitely on the grill. Super easy, super yummy, and deliciously sweet and crunchy. This Rainbow Summer Salad is a great way to enjoy corn “off the cob” after grilling it. If you must, you can broil it. But I must warn you that you’re not letting your corn live up to its true potential. Just sayin’.
Next time you have a BBQ, make sure to whip this salad up for a deliciously crunchy side dish that is not only yummy and healthy, but beautifully colorful. Who doesn’t love rainbows? There’s always that chance you’ll find your pot o’ gold. Add this to your recipe repertoire and you’ll feel like you have!
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked and silk removed
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh jalapeno, seeds and finely diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced and soaked in ice water for 20 minutes and patted dry
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 red or orange sweet pepper, diced
- ½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 3 Tbsp parsley, finely torn
- 1 Tbsp basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Tear aluminum foil into four even squares. Roll each ear into foil, squeezing ends together and folding them in.
- Grill for 7 minutes, then turn over and grill an additional 7 minutes. Remove from grill.
- Prepare dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and jalapeno until sugar is dissolved.
- Prepare salad. Cut corn from cobs and place in a large bowl. Add onion, cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, arugula, parsley, and basil. Toss to combine.
- Stir dressing and drizzle over vegetables. Stir to combine. Serve immediately.