Hey, butter, butter, butter, EAT BUTTER! A classic baseball line. Now I know they’re actually referring to batters in baseball, but there is a major similarity between baseball and butter—more specifically, butter cake. Because butter cake is a freaking HOME RUN, BABY! I mentioned before how insanely good CPK’s butter cake is. There’s a reason why the description on their menu simply says, “Trust us. Just try it.” Words cannot describe the deliciousness that is the CPK butter cake. I have searched for a butter cake recipe similar to CPK’s and I haven’t been able to find the exact one (and CPK won’t share it *sigh*), but Paula Deen’s Gooey Butter Cake is pretty close. Zap it in the microwave to warm it up, top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and your taste buds will hardly notice the difference.
And although I love butter cake and it pretty much sends me to the moon, I wondered. What could make it send me soaring into another galaxy? The answer, of course, was chocolate. Because chocolate pretty much makes everything better (according to my anti-diet, evil alter ego). Then I decided to take it one step further and say I’ll see that chocolate and raise it some caramel. Whoa, people. It’s about to get crazy up in here.
I gotta tell ya. The result is a gooey, buttery, moist, crispy-bottomed cake sprinkled with delicious caramel-infused chocolate chips. I cut it into bars for easy consuming (mostly to keep me from eating the whole cake) and zapped the pieces we were going to eat in the microwave to warm them up. Then I looked for vanilla ice cream and was sadly disappointed to find that we were out. So we had to eat the bars plain. Then my mouth was like, “What’s vanilla ice cream?” Because they were out-of-this-galaxy delicious all by themselves. Make them today and prepare to be whisked away.
- FOR CAKE
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- FOR FILLING
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 16-oz. bag powdered sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 bag Nestle Toll House Delight Fulls Caramel Filled Morsels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat into bottom of pan and set aside.
- With the electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; add eggs and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and mix well. Reduce speed and slowly pour in butter. Mix well.
- Pour filling over cake layer and spread evenly. Sprinkle chocolate chips over filling.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. (Note: center of cake will still be slightly gooey—that's a good thing!) Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Store leftovers in refrigerator and warm in microwave for 20 seconds.