A few weeks ago we went to Iggy’s Sports Grill, a restaurant chain here in Utah, and I ordered their Southern Chicken Salad. I’d been to Iggy’s quite a few times before, but it was the first time I ordered their Southern Chicken Salad. The only reason I hadn’t before is I’m not usually a fan of breaded chicken on my salads. Just…no. Can’t do it. But I asked for grilled chicken in place of the breaded and hoped for the best. Friends, I was so happy I took the plunge. Because the salad was beyond amazing. It was filled with all my favorite veggies and salad goodies and the best part? The candied pecans. Whoa. Why haven’t I ever had them in a salad before? Seriously missed opportunity. They totally made the salad and when I got to the last bite, I was sad that my Southern Chicken Salad adventure was over. So, in that moment, I did what any food blogger would do. I made a list of all the yummy things in the salad and decided I would create my own version at home.
And then I took it one step further. I had Ranch dressing on my salad at Iggy’s and as I thought about Ranch and how meh most bottled Ranch dressing is, I remembered the fresh chives we have growing on the side of my house and had an epiphany. I could make my own HOMEMADE Ranch dressing. Double whoa. In that moment, my Southern Chicken Salad with Homemade Ranch recipe was born. And what a glorious day it was!
This salad is chock full of fresh, crunchy veggies, hard-boiled eggs, and candied pecans and then drizzled with homemade garlic and herb Ranch dressing. It’s a fresh, hearty, and delicious main dish salad that everyone will love. It serves 6 and there’s only 4 of us here. I may have gone back for another helping. And perhaps another….
- RANCH DRESSING:
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp fresh chives, diced
- ½ tsp dill
- ½ tsp parsley
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, rinsed and torn
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or canned)
- 1 cucumber, sliced then halved
- 1 pkg glazed pecans (I used Diamond brand 5.5-oz. package)
- ½ large red onion, slivered and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large tomato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk thoroughly. Set aside.
- Divide romaine onto 6 plates. Top each bed of lettuce with remaining salad ingredients. Serve with Ranch dressing.