Are you all ready for Thanksgiving? It’s hard to believe it’s in just a few short days. Then on to Christmas! Do you all have your trees up? We do here. Well, the tree is up and the top is decorated beautifully. The bottom? Well, let’s just say the ornaments at the bottom (a.k.a. at my 3-year-old and 1 1/2 year-old’s height) are all placed clumped together on the bottom branches. I had to take the candy canes off because my oldest was “breaking” them so they couldn’t hang on the tree anymore and she had to eat them. That girl’s no dummy.
I’ve been seeing a lot of yummy Thanksgiving recipes and am so grateful because I have a handful I’m going to try out on Thursday. Can’t wait! But I hope you’ll forgive me for not posting a Thanksgiving recipe today. It’s only because I couldn’t keep this recipe to myself any longer. Are you a fan of chicken chili? If not, you’re about to be.
Let me introduce you to the mac daddy of chicken chili recipes. It’s hearty, delicious, and so easy to make you’ll be giggling like a little kid with a lollipop as you make it. Seriously. Next week, when you’re exhausted from all the Thanksgiving festivities (and maybe even crazy Black Friday shopping) and you want something super easy to whip up that’ll fill your tummy and warm you up, this chili will be there waiting. Okay, this is kind of creepy, but that Richard Marx song, “Right Here Waiting” just came to mind. People, this is the second time I have brought up a Richard Marx song on my blog. I promise I’m not the slightest bit obsessed. Although, he had quite the mullet back in the day. You gotta respect a man that can pull that off.
Anyway, back to the chili. It’s tender chicken, hearty northern beans, crunchy corn, and sweet green chiles combined into a satisfying, rich bowl of deliciousness that will warm the heart and soothe the soul. This soup is sure to become a fast family favorite and can be spiced to your liking.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- ½ -1 can corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and/or pepper jack cheese
- cilantro, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the beans, broth, chilies, corn, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream.
- Sprinkle with cheeses and cilantro.
This recipe can easily be doubled to serve more or to have more for leftovers. YUM!