Guys, I pretty much crave home-baked chocolate chip cookies on a daily basis. And whenever I make them, I wish more than anything that they were calorie-free or similar in nutritional value to, say, a blueberry. “Introducing the nutritious chocolate chip cookie, chock full of rich chocolate and power packed with antioxidants and vitamins C and K. Eat 10 to boost your metabolism and increase body fat burn.” Ahhh, how would that be? A girl can dream, right?
Now back to reality. These cookies are, unfortunately, not the calorie-free variety. But that’s probably what makes them so good. Because with desserts, you gotta go big or go home. Butter? Check. Chocolate? Check. Sugar? Check. And though you really can’t go wrong with the traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe, sometimes you gotta change it up. And, my friends, I am so glad I did. Because these Mocha Whopper Chocolate Chip Cookies are where it’s at. I took my favorite, go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe and threw in some espresso powder. I don’t like coffee, but I am infatuated with coffee-flavored desserts. Coffee ice cream? Delicious. So I knew adding a little espresso powder to the cookies would deliver just the right amount of punch for a little mocha kick. Oh, and did I mention I threw in chopped Whoppers? You bet I did. And they added a little crunch and extra yumminess to the cookies that was out of this world. As they were cooling on the racks I was salivating over them and ate three in the span of five minutes. And the hubs ate five. They are GOOOOOOOD. This recipe makes a lot of cookies, but you can always halve them. Either way, I guarantee they’ll disappear quickly.
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 1½ cups butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp espresso powder*
- 4¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (12 oz) bag milk (or semisweet) chocolate chips
- 1 cup Whoppers candy, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, beat together granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter until fluffy. Beat in vanilla, eggs, and espresso powder until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. Combine flour mixture with sugar mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and chopped Whoppers. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart. (I line mine with parchment paper for easy removal)
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.