I’m going to do it, people. I’m going to say this is one of my favorite chicken recipes EVER! I know I’ve said it before, but there are so many yummy chicken dishes out there that it’s hard to choose one fav. Know what I mean? It’s like choosing a favorite dessert. Or a favorite child. Ya just can’t. So I hope you’ll still believe me and don’t just think of me as the girl who cried yum. Cuz this Lemon Chicken Risotto with Asparagus is the real deal.
It’s creamy risotto bursting with lemon flavor and chock full of tender chicken and fresh, crisp carrots and asparagus. Oh, and did I mention it’s topped with gooey melted asiago? F’reals. Can you imagine anything better than a hearty, creamy, and dreamy risotto dish that is yummy enough that the whole family will devour it, but that’s also elegant enough to serve for dinner guests or a romantic dinner for two? Yep, it’s possible. Weeknight? Check. Date night? Check XOXO. Party night? Yep, check. This dish is perfect for any occasion.
And it’s a fancy pants dish you can throw together in less than an hour. What could be better? Try it tonight and you’ll say, “Not a dang thing!”
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Olive oil spray or 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut in half crosswise
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) buttery or roasted chicken flavor pre-cooked rice
- 10–15 baby carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2–2½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Asiago cheese
- ¼ cup snipped fresh basil leaves
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- Flatten chicken to ½-inch thickness and season both sides with salt and black pepper. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes; lightly spray with olive oil (or use 1 Tbsp olive oil). Arrange chicken and lemon halves, cut sides down, in skillet.
- Cook 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning chicken once (do not turn lemon halves). Remove chicken and lemon from skillet. Cool slightly; slice chicken into ½-inch pieces and set aside.
- Lightly spray same skillet with oil (or use remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil). Cook onion and garlic over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add rice and juice from caramelized lemon halves. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until lemon juice is completely absorbed into rice. Add vegetables and 2 cups of the broth to skillet; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer 4-5 minutes or until broth thickens slightly. Stir in chicken; cook until heated through.
- Remove risotto from heat. Add Asiago cheese and basil; stir until cheese melts and sauce thickens (adjust sauce consistency with additional broth, if necessary). Stir in cream cheese.