These Banana Crunch Muffins are not your ordinary banana muffins. They’re packed with granola and coconut flakes and have a deliciously crunchy, golden-brown top!
It was that time again. I had bought a bunch of bananas at the store, failed to eat them, and they were reaching that point of no return. You know the one. Where they’re too mushy to eat by themselves and just perfect for banana bread. So I considered my options. The easiest choice is banana bread–but I didn’t want to make banana bread. I wanted something that I could share with neighbors because I knew we wouldn’t eat it all.
Having always been a fan of Ina Garten and knowing she never disappoints, I turned to her Banana Crunch Muffin recipe. What I love about these muffins is they’re so much more than a banana muffin. They’re packed with sweet coconut flakes and your favorite granola (so you feel like they’re healthier). Plus, the golden-brown tops have a little crunch from the granola you sprinkle on top before baking.
One thing to note is that Ina’s recipe states it makes 18 large muffins, but this recipe makes 24 to 30 regular-sized muffins. Also, her recipe says to fill each muffin cup to the top, but I have found that once you add the toppings, the muffins overflow as they bake. The result? One huge, messy muffin. I would recommend filling the cups 3/4 full to save room for the granola.
So if your bananas have reached their point of no return, don’t make yet another loaf of banana bread. Make these Banana Crunch Muffins and share them with neighbors or coworkers. Or keep them all for yourself. I wouldn’t blame you!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1 cup diced ripe bananas (about 1 banana)
- 1 cup of your favorite granola + extra for topping
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 24 to 30 muffin cups with muffin liners. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, beat together the eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in the butter and mashed bananas.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and beat to combine. Fold in the diced bananas, 1 cup of granola, and coconut.
- Spoon batter into each muffin cup, filling them approximately ¾ full. Top each muffin with extra granola and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops are brown and toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, then remove from pan to a cooling rack. Enjoy!