Perfect for summer, this Grilled Chicken Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing is loaded with fresh veggies and tender chicken, then drizzled with a sweet and tangy poppy seed dressing.
It’s the final countdown, friends. In a mere week and a half, my maternity leave will be over and I’ll be returning to work. Honestly, it’s kind of bittersweet for me. I’m finally feeling like I’m getting the hang of this mom stuff (and it’s my third child, but whatevs), and I know I’ll miss my little goobers every day. I mean, how could you not miss these faces?
But there are a few things I’m looking forward to. Adult conversation for one. The other? Uninterrupted Me time during my lunch breaks, when I intend to kick my trash every day at the company fitness center. YES. It is ON. Bye, bye, baby weight!
But exercise is only part of the equation. Eating right, of course, is the other, more difficult to-do. Yep. My post-pregnancy sugar cravings will often be satisfied with a piece of fruit instead of a Kit Kat Big Kat or Salted Caramel Oreo Thins. I know—the thought brings tears to my eyes. But hope to my thighs. So I’ll be making a lot more salads. But when I have salads like this Grilled Chicken Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing to look forward to, eating healthier doesn’t seem so bad. In fact, it seems rather awesome. This salad is loaded with all kinds of goodies, like tender grilled chicken, fresh grilled corn, crunchy bell peppers, salty bacon (not totally diet-friendly, but c’mon…it’s BACON), crisp carrots, mild green onions, sweet Craisins, and nutty toasted almonds, and then drizzled with sweet and tangy poppy seed dressing. It’s a hearty main-dish salad with a unique variety of textures and flavors that will rock your world.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 ears of fresh corn, shucked
- 1 head of romaine, washed and torn
- ¼ cup matchstick carrots
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup Craisins
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 strips of cooked bacon, chopped
- Your favorite poppy seed dressing (I used Brianna's)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Prepare chicken. Brush chicken breasts with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Prepare corn. Brush cobs with softened butter and place each on a square of foil. Wrap corn in foil, folding sides up to close completely.
- Grill corn for 18 to 20 minutes, turning frequently. During last 10 minutes, place chicken on grill. Grill chicken for 10 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove corn and chicken from grill.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut it into bite-sized pieces or strips.
- Carefully unwrap corn. When it's cool enough to handle, stand each ear upright on a cutting board and cut off kernels all the way around.
- Divide romaine equally between 2 plates. Top with carrots, corn, chicken, bell pepper, Craisins, almonds, green onions, and bacon. Drizzle with poppy seed dressing and enjoy!