Chicken Fajita Salad is everything you love in a fajita in a low-carb, Keto-diet-friendly main dish salad that’s sure to satisfy!
Ohhhh friends. I had forgotten how hard the weeks are after you have a baby. The sleepless nights, the crazy days, the spit-up. It’s a lot harder now with my other two kids. Thankfully, they entertain themselves, but I find that lately they’re watching the iPad way too much. Because if they’re not doing that, they’re making a huge mess that I don’t have the energy to clean up. But I also cherish this time, when my baby is so small and cuddly and I’m her whole world.
Before I had her, one of my friends in my neighborhood threw me a baby shower at a local restaurant, and I ordered the steak fajita salad. WOW. I crave it just about every day. With tender steak, sauteed fajita veggies, tomatoes, and tomatillo ranch dressing, it was amazing. I knew, right then and there, I had to create my own version at home.
So I made a Chicken Fajita Salad based on this Perdue recipe. Confession: I had never really had jicama before I made this salad. And YOWZA! It was even better than I imagined. And the bonus is that this Chicken Fajita Salad is low carb, so it fits within my husband’s Keto diet. It’s packed with fajita-marinated chicken, yummy veggies, black beans, and fresh tomatoes and topped with Queso Fresco, guacamole, and salsa. I have to admit that I’ve never been a fan of guacamole on salads, but it’s amazing on this salad and gives it that certain je ne sais quois. So if you’re looking for a delicious, healthier salad for Cinco de Mayo that fills you up, you gotta make this Chicken Fajita Salad.
Also, if you’re interested in learning more about the Keto diet, check out my sister-in-law’s blog here. Her husband has had amazing results, and the two of them are helping many others understand the ins and outs of the Keto diet and lifestyle.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup fajita marinade
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ canned corn kernels
- ½ cup jicama, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 head romaine, chopped
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salsa and guacamole, for topping
- Crumbled Queso Fresco, for topping
- Your favorite Mexican salad dressing (I used Brianna's Creamy Cilantro Lime)
- In a large plastic bag, combine chicken breasts and fajita marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, discarding marinade. Cook 8-12 minutes until brown on both sides, flipping once halfway through. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Add corn, jicama, bell pepper, and red onion to pan. Saute until bell pepper is crisp-tender. When chicken is cool enough to handle, slice it into bite-sized pieces.
- Divide romaine onto four plates. Top with chicken, vegetables, black beans, and tomatoes. Add a scoop of your favorite salsa and fresh guacamole. Sprinkle with crumbled Queso Fresco and drizzle with the dressing. Enjoy!