I created this recipe for the Fortune Asian Noodle Blogger Recipe Challenge; however, the opinions are mine alone.
Coconut Curry Chicken Noodle Soup is yummy and easy to make! Chock full of Udon noodles, chicken, bell peppers, and lots of other goodies, it’s perfect for a cold and busy weeknight!
You know how chicken noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food, satisfying to the tummy and soothing to the soul? I’m a huge fan of chicken noodle soup, especially this time of year when I often experience the double whammy of the weather being cold and me getting a cold. And when I have a cold, I’m not necessarily looking to amp up the flavor of my soup as much as just enjoy a steaming bowl of it.
But then there are times when I’m jonesing for a good pot of soup, and chicken noodle just doesn’t cut it when I’m looking for a serious burst of flavor. That’s why, when JSL Foods invited me to participate in their Fortune Udon Noodle Challenge, I knew I had to create this Coconut Curry Chicken Noodle Soup. See, I love, love, love coconut curry dishes and often order them at local Thai restaurants. There’s something about the coconut milk simmered with pungent curry paste that just makes my heart sing—and my mouth water. So coming up with a soup version of my favorite Thai dish was a “psssssh, YEAH” kinda thing for me.
And the Fortune Udon Noodles make it a breeze to prepare. They’re fresh and pre-cooked, so you just throw them in the soup and let them heat up with your other ingredients. It’s that simple! You can purchase JSL Foods products in the refrigerated produce section at Banners, Macey’s, Dick’s, Lin’s, Fresh Market, Harmon’s, Smiths Associated Food Stores, and Target. Make sure to follow JSL Foods on Twitter and Facebook for more recipe inspiration!
The best part with making this soup was that it was a joint effort. I got to visit with a couple of my sisters (one is in town from California) as we chopped and cooked and chatted about food. Because that’s how we roll, friends. When we’re together, chances are the convo revolves around food.
When the soup was finished, everyone (including my 11-year-old niece and her friends) got to try a bowl. And drum roll, please…….EVERYONE. LOVED. IT. I know you will, too. Chock full of fresh veggies and chicken and then topped with all kinds of yummies like peanuts, limes, cilantro, and green onions (so great, right?), this Coconut Curry Chicken Noodle Soup is bound to become a quick family fav. Plus, it’s super easy to make—and a great way to use up leftover roast chicken.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced and halved
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 15-oz can baby corn, drained and cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 14-oz cans coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth*
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 7.27-oz pkgs Fortune Udon noodles (any flavor, seasoning packets reserved for another use)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- Optional toppings:
- Green onions
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Lime wedges
- Jalapeno slices
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat canola oil. Add bell peppers and saute until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrots, and baby corn, and saute an additional minute.
- Pour in coconut milk, chicken broth, red curry paste, fish sauce, and lime juice. Add ginger, red pepper flakes, and Kosher salt. Reduce heat to medium and stir to combine.
- Add Udon noodles and chicken, stirring to separate noodles. Bring mixture to a boil and stir until noodles are heated through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Separate into individual serving bowls and serve with optional toppings. Enjoy!