La-la-la-la-lasagna! I have the Weird Al “La Bamba” parody in my head because I am so craving lasagna right now AND today just happens to be National Lasagna Day. Serendipitous, my friends. Although, come to think of it, I could pretty much eat lasagna any day. How can you resist the gooey, cheesy, meaty, rich layers of heavenly deliciousness that make up lasagna? Whenever I think of lasagna, I’m reminded of Garfield the cat, whose favorite dish was lasagna. He was one smart kitty.
The reason I’m so excited to celebrate National Lasagna Day is because I just tried a new lasagna recipe that was a huge success—Grilled Lasagna. First of all, lemmie say that I know traditional lasagna is a labor of love. You boil the noodles, make the meat/tomato sauce, mix the ricotta with an egg, etc. There are much simpler ways to cook lasagna nowadays, like in a crock pot, or you can opt for the speedy, weeknight-friendly skillet lasagna. I have to say the Grilled Lasagna recipe I’m sharing is similar to traditional lasagna. It does require some work, but that’s only because the result is amazing. It is so worth it!
The best part is you grill the lasagna in individual foil packs, so everyone has their very own personal lasagna. You could even take it one step further and let people choose their own toppings and fillings. Ohh my heavens. I’m sensing a new family BBQ theme coming on. Make your own lasagna! The possibilities are endless.
For the time being, I’ll share my basic Grilled Lasagna recipe, which I made with a meat sauce, and you can choose how you’d like to customize it. Make it veggie. Make it Mexican. Make it seafood. Make it spinach and artichoke. Whatever fillings and ingredients you choose, you’re going to love it. The best part? You can celebrate National Lasagna Day the summer way—using a grill instead of the hot, stuffy oven!
- 12 no-bake lasagna noodles
- 1 lb. ground mild Italian sausage
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 24-oz. bottle spaghetti sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¾ cup ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Parmesan, divided
- 1-1/2 cups mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat grill to medium.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic cloves, Italian seasoning, spaghetti sauce, salt and pepper, and cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low to simmer.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta and egg until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, stir ½ cup Parmesan, mozzarella, and olive oil until combined.
- Lay out 4 double-layer sheets of foil. Spray with olive oil spray.
- Run each noodle under cold water and set on a plate.
- Place one noodle on each piece of foil. Top with rounded ¼ cup of meat sauce. Add 3 small dollops of ricotta/egg mixture and spread to combine with meat sauce. Sprinkle with ½ of cheese mixture. Top with another noodle. Repeat layers and top last noodles with remaining meat sauce and ½ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bring the foil together for each packet, and pinch and fold tightly to make 4 flat packets.
- Grill packets, uncovered, for 10 minutes per side. Let stand for 5 minutes before opening.