This Hearty Pasta e Fagioli is truly a one-pot wonder. Loaded with sausage, noodles, beans, and fresh veggies, it’s easy to make, deliciously satisfying, and family friendly!
March is always crazy here in Utah. I get so excited for spring and then, inevitably, Mother Nature throws a curve ball. We recently had a blizzard. It was so intense that they closed part of the freeway and there were some crazy accidents.
So just when I’m ready for green trees, cool breeze, and fresh salads, I have to bundle up and whip up something piping hot to warm me up. One of the best warm-you-up meals, of course, is soup. And what’s better than a satisfying bowl of soup chock full of all kinds of goodies? This Hearty Pasta e Fagioli is one of my favorites, and it’s so easy to make.
I first had pasta e fagioli at Olive Garden. Being a chili fan, I instantly fell in love with it. With ground beef (or sausage), beans, and veggies, it’s basically an Italian chili with noodles in it. So when I challenged myself to make my own version at home, I happily accepted. Loaded with ground sausage, pasta, beans, and fresh veggies, it’s my new go-to on chilly nights. Best part? You can enjoy it the next day, because it makes incredibly delicious leftovers. Note that the noodles soak up a lot of the broth, so leftovers are more like a pasta with ground sausage, veggies and a delicious tomato-based sauce. And friends, it’s just as good as the soup. Maybe even better (gasp!).
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 20 baby carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- 8 oz elbow noodles
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Chopped fresh basil
- Grated parmesan, for sprinkling on top
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove from pan and drain pan, leaving a little grease.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic to pot and saute, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil for one minute. Then simmer mixture, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Add elbow noodles and beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Serve with chopped basil and grated parmesan to sprinkle on top. Enjoy!