These gluten-free, low-carb Pizza Stuffed Peppers have everything you love on a supreme pizza without the crust! They make a super easy, delicious, and kid-friendly weeknight meal!
Imagine being on a low-carb diet when your absolute favorite food is pizza. Such is the case with the hubs. He’s been on the Keto diet for the last month (with great success, by the way), and I couldn’t help but feel sorry for him and the fact that he couldn’t indulge in his favorite meal. So I did what any good wife would do and set out to find a way to let him enjoy pizza sans crust.
The answer? Pizza Stuffed Peppers. They’re everything you love about supreme pizza, but healthier without the carby crust. Think ground Italian sausage, pizza sauce, onions, mushrooms, black olives, pepperoni, and melty cheese all beautifully nestled in a roasted bell pepper. It’s the perfect way to get your pizza fix and not feel like you’re sacrificing anything. Hallelujah! Carb-watching and gluten-free pizza lovers rejoice!
The best part about this recipe is that it is so easy and quick to prepare, making it the perfect weeknight meal. Plus, it’s also a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies because it TASTES LIKE PIZZA. So next time it’s pizza night, step away from your phone. Forget about delivery pizza and whip up these delicious, cute-as-a-button, easy Pizza Stuffed Peppers!
- 4 bell peppers, halved and trimmed
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 8-oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 14-oz. jar pizza sauce
- ½ Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2.25-oz. can sliced black olives, drained
- 3.5-oz. package pepperoni, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, cheddar, or Italian blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place peppers, cut side up, in a 13x9" baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage. Drain. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms, and saute until onions are tender and mushrooms are browned.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Add olives and half of the pepperoni and stir to combine.
- Spoon sausage mixture into bell pepper halves and top each with cheese and remaining pepperoni. Broil for 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Enjoy!