People say that the BIRD is the word, but I have to respectfully disagree. Because obviously, CARAMEL is the word. Haven’t you heard? In fact, just the other day I discovered a great combo. A simple slice of pound cake with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. Mind = blown. F’reals. LIKE button, heart emoji.
So why am I bringing up caramel? I’m glad you asked. Because I purchased this Ghirardelli caramel sauce awhile back and it is SO. FREAKING. GOOD. How did I not know this existed??
And the best part? It’s a critical ingredient in my indulgently creamy and delicious caramel cream cheese frosting that lusciously adorns these moist, perfect-for-fall Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes. Normally I am a less-is-more kind of gal when it comes to frosting. I usually prefer the cupcake and just a little dollop of frosting. But these Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting have caused me to reconsider my thoughts about frosting (yikes!). Because honestly, I can’t decide if I like the cupcake or the frosting more. The good thing is I don’t have to choose. I can have my cupcake and eat the frosting, too. So whip up a batch of these today. I guarantee they’ll disappear quickly. On second thought, whip up two batches and stash one for yourself. 🙂
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup water
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
- CARAMEL FROSTING:
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp Ghirardelli (or your favorite brand) caramel sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, beat cupcake ingredients together until smooth and well combined, scraping sides of bowl if needed.
- Using a ¼-cup measuring cup that's slightly less than full, fill each cupcake tin to ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove pans from oven and remove cupcakes from pan onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add caramel sauce and vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
- Add confectioner's sugar, ½ cup at a time, on low speed until blended. Increase speed and mix for an additional 2 minutes. Spread onto cupcakes and enjoy!