Slow-Cooker Hawaiian Chicken is an easy set-it-and-forget-it meal. With juicy, tender chicken, pineapple, and fresh veggies in a sweet and tangy sauce, it’s bound to be a family favorite!
A few nights ago, each of my three daughters woke me up at different times. At around midnight, my 4-year old woke me up to tell me she needed to go to the bathroom. Then at 3 a.m., I woke to my 6-year old tossing and turning in my bed. When I asked her why she wasn’t in her bed, she said she was scared. So I comforted her and brought her back to her bed. Then at 4 a.m., by baby woke up hungry. To top it all off, the next day was my first day back to work after maternity leave. It was rough.
After a crazy night like that, the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen preparing dinner. I want something easy to prepare that my whole family will love. I want to be able to use my hot water for a relaxing bubble bath—not doing a sink full of dishes. That’s why I love this Slow-Cooker Hawaiian Chicken. You make it all in the slow cooker. Just set it, forget it, and carry on with your day.
I admit that I’m not always impressed with slow-cooker chicken. Many times, it turns out dry or tasteless. But this Slow-Cooker Hawaiian Chicken is amazing! It features tender, juicy chunks of chicken, sweet pineapple, and fresh veggies in a deliciously tangy sauce perfect for summer. Serve it over rice for an easy, no-stress meal your whole family will devour. It’s also a great dish to serve when you have dinner guests!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups honey BBQ sauce
- 1 20-oz can pineapple chunks, drained and ¼ cup liquid reserved
- ½ large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ large yellow or, orange, or green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ red onion, quartered then thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place chicken thighs in cooker.
- Top thighs with garlic and BBQ sauce. Add pineapple chunks and reserved liquid. Toss to combine.
- Cover; cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours. When 30 minutes of cook time remain, add bell peppers and red onion. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and ¼ cup water until smooth. Stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice and sprinkle with green onions.