Cool and refreshing, this Lime Granita is the perfect light summer dessert for any occasion! Serve it at your next BBQ or party!
Riddle me this. If your husband doesn’t like sweets, what on earth do you make for dessert? You wonder and ponder (perhaps finding comfort in a chocolate bar yourself) and then consider your options. I did just that before concocting this delicious Lime Granita.
I thought about how much my husband preferred more sour things and how my fridge is always stocked with a tree’s worth of citrus fruits. Because though he won’t opt for a piece of cake, my husband has a sweet spot for limes and lemons. Or would that be considered a sour spot?
And given that the days are getting hotter and nothing sounds more refreshing than yummy flavored crushed ice, a Lime Granita was indeed the answer to all my dessert woes. Cool and fresh, this Lime Granita is perfect for kids and adults alike. You can serve it as a refreshing side at your next cookout, whip some up for your kids and their friends on hot summer days, or enjoy it as a light dessert on a sizzling summer night.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (approx. 4 medium limes)
- 1 tsp lime zest
- In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Turn off burner and add lime juice and zest.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, approximately 30 minutes.
- Pour into a freezer-safe bowl or 8x8" pan.* Freeze for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, shave hardened bits with a fork. Continue to shave hardened bits every 30 minutes until consistency is scoopable and similar to shaved ice. Scoop into bowls and enjoy!