This post is sponsored by Smith’s. However, all opinions and thoughts are my own.
Loaded with ground beef, veggies, and cheesy mashed potatoes, Easy Shepherd’s Pie is comfort food at its best—and it’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Have you ever had Shepherd’s Pie (a.k.a. Cottage Pie or Hamburger Pie)? Shepherd’s Pie is an Irish dish made with ground lamb and a mashed potato crust. Another version of the dish, which involves ground beef instead of the lamb, is called Cottage Pie. In the Americanized version, which is often called Shepherd’s Pie, we usually use ground beef.
I didn’t grow up on casseroles and I never had Shepherd’s Pie at home, but I once had it at my aunt’s house and instantly fell in love with it. The crunchy veggies with ground beef, nestled underneath a blanket of savory mashed potatoes had my taste buds doing the happy dance.
Fast forward 20 years later. I was browsing the internet, looking for ideas for easy fall meals to make that are family friendly and that don’t take all day. Then I thought about the Shepherd’s Pie I’d had all those years ago and just knew it would be a hit with my family. Now, being a food blogger, the challenge of coming up with a recipe reminiscent of that yummy dinner at my aunt’s house was enticing and exciting. I was up to it!
I immediately added the ingredients to my ClickList shopping list and was well on my way to another dinner victory! As a busy, full-time working mama, I’ve become such a fan of Smith’s ClickList program, which I use to shop at my local Smith’s grocery store. Smith’s is a part of the Kroger Family of Stores and ClickList is being rolled out nationwide. Using ClickList, I can easily add items to my shopping list online, right from my computer. What I love is I can keep a running shopping list that I add to and when I’m ready, I just place my order, select my pick-up date and time, and I’m all set! It saves me so much time and makes it easy to get my groceries when I have two little ones in tow.
He was super friendly and explained how they had to substitute one item they were out of. The best part? Whenever they have to substitute anything, they replace it with something equal to or better than the original item. I also love the quality and freshness of the items I buy. Each staff member is trained to know how to pick the best produce and meats to ensure I get the best value for my money.
I also got this awesome ClickList goodie bag with snacks, a bottle of water, a pack of tissues (it’s like they KNEW I was a mom!), and some hand soap (yes, a regular-sized one!) as a thank you.
That evening, I was excited to start making this Easy Shepherd’s Pie. It’s so easy to make, kid-friendly, and perfect for a busy weeknight. Chances are, you probably have most of the ingredients on hand.
First, cook the ground beef over medium-high heat. When almost browned, drain it and add the onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion is tender, about 2 minutes. Then add the mixed veggies, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, tomato paste, and salt and pepper.
- 1-1/2 lbs ground beef
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 24-oz package refrigerated mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups Italian or Fiesta blend shredded cheese (optional)
- Parsley (to sprinkle on top)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13x9” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until almost browned. Drain.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until onion is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add mixed vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, tomato paste, and salt and pepper. Cook, stiring until paste is fully incorporated.
- Meanwhile, place the mashed potatoes in the microwave and cook for 1 minute. Remove and stir slightly; cook for an additional minute to soften.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth and flour. Add it to the beef mixture and heat to boiling, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Spread beef mixture into baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes over the beef and sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until potatoes are golden and cheese is bubbly.