Loaded Turkey and Rice Soup is hearty, delicious, and chock full of all kinds of goodies. It’s the perfect way to use up that leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
Ahhh, now that Thanksgiving is over, we can all finally relax, right? Yesterday was our “Put up Christmas” day and I am already starting to regret putting candy canes on our tree. The girls have taken most of them off and have started to eat them. And it’s only 10:00! So I’ve moved all of them up to the top of the tree. I saw a meme on Facebook the other day that I can totally relate to. It said something like “I didn’t realize how OCD I was until I let my kids decorate the Christmas tree.” Anyone else feel that way?
Even though we have Christmas up and the season is in full swing, I can’t ignore the Thanksgiving leftovers in my fridge. I’m determined to use them all up. Yesterday, if you recall, I made Baked Mashed Potato Balls. Last night I took the plunge and made my first-ever turkey soup. And it was one of the best turkey soups I’ve ever had.
I didn’t have egg noodles on hand and REALLY didn’t want to go out on Black Friday, so I decided to use rice instead. I loved the little change-up and it made the soup hearty and delicious. I also threw all the goodies I could think of in the pot, and I’m so glad I did. This aptly named Loaded Turkey and Rice Soup is comfort food at its finest and most incredible. Best part? You don’t have to simmer the carcass for hours. So if you have a leftover turkey in your fridge, get ready to whip it out. An hour and a half is about all it takes to make a delicious pot of this hearty and kid-friendly soup!
- 1 leftover turkey carcass
- 6 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 32-oz cartons low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked regular long grain white rice
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups leftover turkey, shredded or chopped
- ½ of a 12-oz pkg frozen peas
- ½ can of corn kernels, drained
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, combine the turkey carcass (break up pieces into 5 or 6 manageable pieces), celery, carrots, onion, onion soup mix, bay leaves, and 3 of the cartons of broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour. Then remove the carcass and bones to a cutting board and pick off any meat that remains. Add pieces to pot. Discard the carcass and bones.
- Stir in the rice, add the other carton of broth and the leftover turkey, and return to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas and corn and season with garlic powder and salt and pepper. Simmer an additional 10 minutes, or until rice is tender. Enjoy!