Tender, juicy pot roast and crisp broccoli florets are combined in a rich and delicious sauce for this easy, fix-it-and-forget-it Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli!
Don’t you just love a good slow cooker meal? The best thing about slow cookers is that you can use them any time of the year. Throw in everything you need for a hearty stew in the winter while you hit the slopes or Christmas shop. Or whip up a yummy weeknight meal while you’re out swimming or playing at the park with the kids in the summer. Either way, it’s so nice to have dinner cooking in your house while you go about your activities during the day. The delicious aromas that greet you when you walk in the door ain’t too shabby either. 🙂 And for a busy mom of three, nothing could be easier or more convenient.
So when I came across a recipe for Beef and Broccoli in the slow cooker, I knew I had to give it a try. I found this Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli recipe on Better Homes and Gardens and have tweaked it to my taste. If you’re a beef and broccoli fan like me, you’re going to love this version. Slow-cooked, tender pot roast and crunchy broccoli cook in a deliciously rich, orange-spiked sauce for an easy, Asian-inspired main dish you’re sure to make again and again. So get out and enjoy the sunshine and get some good ol’ vitamin D. Dinner will be waiting.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2-lb. chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp orange marmalade
- Hot cooked rice (optional)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)*
- Add canola oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Wait for oil to get very hot. Add chuck roast and brown on all sides.
- When the beef is cool enough to handle, slice it into 3-inch chunks. Place chunks in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, 3 Tbsp of the orange juice, ginger, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture over beef in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Turn heat to high setting (if using low) and add broccoli and sesame oil. Stir well to combine. Cook 15 additional minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove beef chunks from slow cooker. Using 2 forks, break meat into bite-sized pieces into a large bowl. Add broccoli; cover and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Strain cooking liquid through a strainer and into a small saucepan. Add cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in orange marmalade and remaining 1 Tbsp orange juice.
- Divide rice into 6 bowls. Top with beef and broccoli mixture and drizzle sauce on top. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.