Hearty Southwestern Goulash is chock full of beef, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and green chilies. This ghoulishly good goulash is perfect for Halloween night!
Have you had goulash? It was one of my favorite meals growing up. Ground beef in a yummy tomato sauce served with macaroni noodles. It’s the quintessential kid-friendly meal. Although, I guess the goulash I’m used to is the Americanized version.
Come to find out, goulash is actually a Hungarian stew-like dish typically consisting of beef and vegetables and flavored with paprika. I don’t know if my mom flavored our goulash with paprika, but I do know it was freaking good. Like, good enough that I would actually obey and come home for dinner rather than play outside with my friends. Serious.
And now, with the weather getting cooler, it was beckoning to me. Friends, it’s definitely goulash time. I thought I’d make my own version, spicing it up with some picante taco seasoning and throwing in some black beans, corn, and green chilies to give it a delicious southwestern flair. Plus, can you imagine a better dinner on a chilly Halloween night than ghoulishly good goulash? Neither can I. So as you’re scurrying around on the big night, getting your kids and/or self ready, throw a pot of this on the stove and get ready for a devilishly delicious meal your whole family will love. Mwaahaahaahhhhh!
- 8 oz elbow noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 15.25-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can green chilies, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
- Shredded Fiesta blend or cheddar cheese
- Jalapeno rings (optional)
- Cook noodles according to package directions until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef. Drain grease.
- Add onion and garlic and saute about 2 minutes.
- Stir in taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer.
- Add black beans, green chilies, corn, salt and pepper, and Worcestershire. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in elbow noodles and toss until fully incorporated.
- Serve in bowls and top with shredded cheese and jalapeno rings, if desired.