This better-for-you Turkey Taco Salad is chock full of goodies, like corn, olives, cheese, tortilla chips, tomatoes, and a delicious ground turkey, pinto, and green chili taco mixture. Guaranteed to fill you up and satisfy!
You know when you have a meal that is so good, you can’t stop thinking about it? Even the next day (and many after) you’re thinking about how much you enjoyed it and you can’t wait to have it again. That’s what this Turkey Taco Salad is for me.
One of my favorite kinds of meals to make is a main dish salad that will fill you up and that is chock full of all kinds of crunchy veggies. Since the hubby is on a low-carb diet, I’ve been trying to come up with healthier meals that feature a lot of fresh veggies and the ever-important protein. Something I realized is that I had never made taco salad. Like ever. WHOA. That realization blew me away. So I had a new purpose and nothing was going to stop me. Enter this tantalizing, zesty Turkey Taco Salad.
It’s so easy to make and so incredibly yummy, packed with all sorts of goodies, like corn, olives, onions, cheese, tomatoes, and crushed tortilla chips. And the best part? It’s made with better-for-you ground turkey, hearty pinto beans, and sweet-spicy chopped green chilies, all simmered together with taco seasoning for that extra heat and Mexican flair. Top it with a dollop of your favorite salsa, drizzle on your favorite dressing, and you’ll have a main dish Turkey Taco Salad fit for a king.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 can green chilies
- 1 15.5-oz can pinto beans, drained
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 2 heads romaine, sliced chiffonade
- 1 cup sliced tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes and halved them)
- ½ can of corn kernels, drained
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Fiesta blend cheese
- 1 2.25-oz can sliced black olives, drained
- Tortilla chips, crushed (for topping)
- Your favorite salsa (for topping)
- Your favorite dressing (for drizzling)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray and add ground turkey. Cook until turkey is browned, stirring frequently. Drain.
- Add pinto beans, green chilies, and taco seasoning. Add water as directed on seasoning package and simmer. Remove from heat.
- Top each plate with shredded lettuce, ground turkey mixture, tomatoes, corn, red onion, shredded cheese, olives, crushed tortilla chips, and a dollop of your favorite salsa. Drizzle with your favorite southwestern dressing. Enjoy!