On top of lasagna, all covered in cheese, I piled on the meatballs ’til my husband said, “Geez!” Actually, he didn’t say that. He didn’t complain at all. Who would? Juicy meatballs are one of the most delicious foods on the planet. I mean, ya got the appetizer meatballs like these Teriyaki Meatballs from Mom on Timeout. Or these fancy Slow Cooker Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs from Creme de la Crumb. Or these Oven Baked Meatball Sandwiches from Home Cooking Memories. Mmmm yes. Now that I have your undivided attention…
Have y’all had meatball lasagna? I mean, seriously. Meatball + lasagna. What could be better? It’s like a recipe for utter food euphoria. Whoa, I just accidentally typed “foot” instead of “food” right there. That gave it a completely different and slightly disturbing meaning. Thanks for coming to my rescue, DELETE button!
But this Skillet Meatball Lasagna recipe takes ordinary meatball lasagna recipes and beats the tomato sauce out of them and steals their lunch money. Cuz it freaking RULES THE SCHOOL. I think we can all agree that traditional lasagna, often a labor of love (cook the noodles, cook the meat, make the sauce, make the ricotta mixture, dry the noodles, layer…), is not a weeknight-friendly meal. Even my Grilled Lasagna recipe requires some time and is definitely more of a weekend meal. But this baby? It’s uber easy and sooo fast. You can cook the meatballs in the microwave if you prefer and once they’re heated and ready to go, this meal will be ready in 30 minutes. NO BAKING REQUIRED. Add some crusty garlic bread and a green salad and you have a feast everyone in your family will love.
- 1 pkg frozen meatballs, cooked (microwaved or baked)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 3 tsp)
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic, undrained
- 1 24-oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- ⅔ cup condensed cream of onion soup*
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1¼ cups cottage cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- ½ tsp fennel
- 9-10 no-cook lasagna noodles
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded or shaved
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute garlic, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and tomato sauce. Add meatballs and toss to coat. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, eggs, cottage cheese, Italian seasoning, and fennel.
- Return 1 cup meatball sauce to the skillet; spread evenly. Layer with 1 cup cottage cheese mixture, 1-1/2 cups meatball sauce and half of the noodles, breaking to fit. Repeat layers of cottage cheese mixture, meatball sauce and noodles. Top with remaining meat sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-17 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with shredded cheeses; cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until melted. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning to taste.
The meatball sauce doesn't spread as easily as regular meat sauce, but do the best you can to place the meatballs evenly throughout.